Wednesday, 3 September 2008

What (was) for dinner Wednesday

Things are a bit busy at work, so I'm not posting very often... looks like this is turning into a recipe blog! Oh well. (Day 3 off the grog and feeling slightly toxic. Milord has lost 4kg [wtf?] since the weekend and I've lost 400g.)

The other day I was browsing through the supermarket looking for inspiration and I saw these adorable baby red capsicums. I just had to buy them.


Then I had no idea what to do with them... I didn't want to chop them up because then I might as well have bought big ones - that would be silly. Ok, so no chopping... maybe stuffed? I googled for recipes and nothing took my fancy, so I threw together stuff I had in the kitchen instead... it was a hit and I've made it twice now to Milord's delight!

Tuna and Smoked Mussel Stuffed Baby Capsicum with wild rice and sugar snap peas

6 baby capsicums (or 2 big ones)
1 200g tin basil and sundried tomato tuna in oil
(If you don't have the fancy tinned tuna just add some sundried tomatoes and basil to a large tin of tuna)
1 100g tin smoked mussels in oil
4 spring onions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
Wild rice (or normal if you prefer)
Sugar snap peas (or any other green veg)


If you are cooking wild rice it takes ages so set it going. Preheat your oven to roasting temp (180C).

Mix together the tuna, mussels, onion and garlic. Do not drain the tins first, the fishy oil totally makes this meal!

Very carefully cut the tops out of the capsicums and remove the seeds. Stuff tightly with tuna mix then press the tops back on.


Place the capsicums in a lightly oiled roasting tray and bake in the oven for 30 min or until they go slightly squishy. Steam your green veg with 5 min to go.

Serve the capsicums on a bed of rice and veggies. When you cut into the capsicums the juices will ooze out into your rice... mmmmmm.


If you don't eat shellfish you could skip the mussels, but Milord reckons they are the secret ingredient here. Funnily enough I only threw them in because the tin had been in the cupboard for ages and needed eating!

No comments: