Saturday, 10 January 2009

The Graveyard Book - Audiobook

I've been a blog fan of Neil Gaiman for some time. He's the author of Stardust, which was made into a movie in I think 2007 (and many other books). I'd read Stardust years before and adored the movie which I saw in an open air cinema, lolling on beanbags with too much wine (I had to get it on DVD later to see the ending again properly!).

For several months now his The Graveyard Book has been making waves in literary circles and I was itching to get my hands on it. In the last few days before Christmas I lurked in the bookshop drooling over it, but financial constraints prevailed and I walked away without it.

Imagine my surprise and delight on Christmas morning when one of Milord's presents to me turned out to be the audiobook of The Graveyard Book - an unabridged 7 hours read by Neil Gaiman himself! I'd not mentioned it, and Milord had never heard of the author - how on Earth had he bought me exactly what I wanted?!

It turns out that Milord was shopping online for audio books for me (I listen to them on the bus), and under the Sci Fi category he saw Terry Pratchett who I knew I liked, and Terry Pratchett has co-authored a book or two with Neil Gaiman and the name stuck in his head. The following day he was in the bookshop and spotted The Graveyard Book, and bought it on the strength of that tenuous connection!

I was stunned. Milord was stunned that I was stunned.

I'm on disk 5 and loving it. Neil has a brilliant reading voice, switching pitch, accent and inflection depending on which character is speaking. It is a series of tales based around a child raised in a graveyard by the dead...

Apparently it's inspired by Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book, which I will now have to get my hands on and read again for the first time since I was a little kid!

No comments: