Tuesday, 15 July 2008

World Youth Day: 2 days to go

Sydney is a ghost town.

We are supposedly inundated with catholic pilgrims, many important roads are being closed, police and protesters are rattling sabres, and anyone who doesn't need to be in the city is staying away. The place has totally lost its mojo and small businesses must be struggling.

Apart from more police around and hardly any traffic I'm not noticing much, especially as I walk to work. Sitting on the 21st floor of an office block I can't see or hear the fuss - apparently the Cross and Icon paraded down a street a block away yesterday afternoon and I didn't know. One of my collegues is hosting two German teenage girl pilgrims, which has earned her some gentle teasing.

And the weather is glorious - divine providence maybe!

No comments: