Wednesday, 16 July 2008

World Youth Day: 1 day to go

Today at lunchtime I decided to soak up some winter sun and watch the pilgrim freakshow.

In three words: Colourful, cheerful, everywhere!

I take it back about the WYD not affecting the city much - it's taken the thing over! Everywhere you look you can see the distinctive red and orange backpacks, country flags, silly hats and official t-shirts. Groups cheer when they pass each other, which they do a lot because no group seems to be heading in the same direction as another!

I was near the Sydney aquarium in a very touristy part of town, so there were families and tour groups on holiday there too, but they were vastly outnumbered by the pilgrims. The pilgrims themselves comprise all kinds of people of all ages. I saw elderly folk and little kids in addition to the hordes of teenagers... and lots of nuns.

Gotta love people-watching. Sadly it's a work day otherwise I'd love to have settled into one of the restaurants with a bottle of wine and watched people all afternoon in the sunshine. And I always have the same thought when I'm watching people: "Where are all the good looking ones?"

No comments: