Wednesday, 16 July 2008

What (was) for dinner Wednesday

I'm taking inspiration from Suzanne who's having a go at blogging 365 days in a row... no, no, I'm not ready for that (yet) but I noticed that she's staying sane by having recurring themes in her posts, like "What's for dinner Wednesdays" and "Soundtrack Sundays".

I haven't bought a CD in ages (The Eels I think, and that was a gift anyway) so I shan't be boring you with my musical taste or lack thereof. I do cook a lot though, and blogging about it may get me to try more adventurous recipes! Oh by the way, I was following links and found this asparagus with soft boiled eggs recipe which sounds divine and the photo is totally food p0rn! I'll be trying it out real soon. Cool blog too - a mum is trying to get her son to like vegetables by going through them A-Z (she's just blogged Zuccini so they're at the end!). I adore veggies... mmmm.

A couple of years ago Milord and I decided to cut back on starchy carbs in our evening meals and to drop cheese or fried foods in general, so you're not going to be seeing pizza here much! We lean towards salads and stirfries, chicken, steak and fish, and the odd roast or slow-cooked stew in cold weather. Instead of potatoes or rice we double up on the veg.

Wednesday's are not a very creative day for me dinnerwise in general, so I'll be picking something from the past week!

My newest winter warmer is Bacon Hock and Bean soup. I made it on Sunday afternoon while Milord and I nursed our monster hangovers in front of the TV. It is just super yummy, and because I skimmed the fat off and didn't add any starches it's not too calorific. It was a bit of an experiment based on something I saw on a cooking program, and inspired by my Dad's bean and bacon soup (Hi Dad!). I've always walked past the butcher's counter and looked at the bacon hocks and wondered what they'd be like, so last week I bought one to give it a try. The whole recipe probably cost me AUD15 and it lasted for three day's dinner. Awesome (plus hardly any dishes to wash for a couple of days).

Bacon Hock and Bean Soup (serves 4 maybe 6)
1 Bacon hock
4 onions
1 bulb or garlic
4 carrots
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can red kidney beans
1 can lentils
1 can butter beans
olive oil
pepper and herbs (don't add salt, the hock and canned beans are already salty)

Roughly chop the onions, carrots and garlic and fry them in olive oil in a casserole dish until soft. Add the bacon hock and pour in enough water to cover it. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for a few hours (at least 2). Remove from heat and pull the bacon hock out to cool. When the hock is cool enough to handle shred the meat from the bone, discarding any fat or skin. Skim any fat from the surface of the cooking liquid, then return the meat to the dish. Add the tins of tomatoes and beans, season to taste, and heat until bubbling. Serve when ready, but the longer you let it rest the better.


Image stolen from here because I didn't take one... close enough.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Cool! I can try out your recipes, too! It's Wednesday here, and the crock pot has been busily working today's offering.

Kat said...

Hey, just checking your blog as part of my daily ritual when I need a break from work! I only made it to 9.10am this morning! Talking of soups I made the most gorgeous thai chicken noodle soup the other night (first time I'd tried it). I must email you the recipe. It had quite a bit of veg in so was really filling too.

Saffa Chick said...

That sounds awesome Kat! Thai chicken soup is a favourite of mine... mmm. If you send me the recipe I'll review it here!