Friday, 18 January 2008

Book Review - Wintersmith

Wintersmith - Terry Pratchett

Review Summary: Not bad for a "young adult" book, and you can never go wrong with Discworld stories.

Plot Summary: Young novice witch attracts the attention of Winter, and has to get rid of him so that Summer can return or else the world will end.

Review:

I've read almost all the Terry Pratchett Discworld books out there, and Milord gave me this one for Christmas. Bless him, he didn't realise that it's a "young adult" book, or that it is book 3 of a series. I haven't told him yet...

I'm going to start by saying that I love Discworld stories, and that the Witches are my favourite characters after Death. I did find that this book does not stand well alone - read the others first (I haven't). There is too much backstory left out regarding our young heroine Tiffany and her army of Scottish pixies - who steal every scene they are in.

I read the book in one sitting on a lazy day, and as with all Terry Pratchett's books it's a rollicking read and you won't want to put it down. The ending felt a bit pat and there wasn't much character development, but maybe that's a "young adult" thing - I haven't read this sort of book in a long time. It could have been a lot darker, and a lot longer - months skip by in a blink. Girls rule, boys are wussy, witches rock, respect the planet, and having snowflakes in your image is cool.

So, enjoyable, give it to your tweenie daughters along with books 1 and 2.

1 comment:

Canadian Girl said...

I've read Wintersmith and I think your review is bang on. It's a great book, but not a stand-alone. The trilogy is good and it is definitely aimed at the teen market so not as darkly witty or detailed as the usual Pratchett fare.

Have you heard that Terry Pratchett has been diagnosed with an early form of Alzheimer's? Very sad. At the press conference he was upbeat and said he feels he still has a few more Discworld novels to write.