Tuesday, 30 December 2008

Dreaded Lurgy Update

By the time Milord got home from work yesterday I was huddled under all the bedclothes and a blanket, shivering in spite of it being a hot day and "the house was like an oven" according to him. I recovered enough to make it onto the couch for most of the evening, and then I had a wretched night, unable to stop coughing for more than 5 minutes at a time. (Milord has been sleeping in the spare room for the last few nights, so at least one of us can sleep!)

Today he dragged me to the doctor. I probably should have gone days ago, but it was Christmas, and then it was the weekend, and then I really thought I was getting better... plus I just don't like going to the doctor. It makes me feel like a wuss. "Ooooh I have a cold, poor me, give me drugs"

So anyway, I went to the doctor today, and whispered to him (I have lost my voice completely now) that I'd had a chest cold for a week and that my husband was worried it was something worse. "Have you been coughing? Open wide - my word you have haven't you?! That's really red." Then he listened to my chest which I reckon sounds like it's full of plastic bags crackling.

I now have antibiotics and a cough mixture which is practically liquid codeine. "It will make you drowsy." Mate, I haven't slept properly in days, bring it on!

On a side note, the streets are full of police pulling drivers over for random breath (alcohol) testing. At 9am. We passed of course (there is very little partying at Chez Saffa right now - wine burns my throat dammit), but I was glad I didn't have to puff at the sensor because I have no puff right now... When I drove home after dropping Milord at work I made a detour to avoid where they'd been!

When I got home I dropped off my overdue library books (due yesterday, I just couldn't make it out of the house) and picked up the post. Hey Kat, I got your Christmas card thanks! And yeah the Aussies do some winter scene cards complete with robins and snow... there are ones with koalas and kangaroos, but they just don't seem quite right!

And sorry all the people who sent us cards, I've not done the card thing this year - it just never made it onto the todo list!

I'm now sitting exhausted on the couch. I may try to have a lie down soon. Where's the sweet sweeeet codeine? mwahahah

No comments: