Monday, 29 December 2008

Dreaded Lurgy

So how was your Christmas? Mine was... well... as good as can be expected, considering that I was rather ill!

I started coming down with a cold just before Christmas, and by Christmas Eve I was a bit achey so I took vitamins and had an early night. By Christmas morning I was in a shocking state. I was shivering and coughing and felt like I'd been run over by a truck!

Milord got me out of bed long enough to exchange presents and have a glass of champagne, and then I went back to bed and he went to our friend's with prawns and presents but came home before dark to look after me.

And that's what he's been doing since... I've spent four days mostly in bed, occasionally making it to the couch. Milord brings me drugs and food and watches with concern when I try to cough up my toenails. I haven't had a chest cold like this in years - in fact I'm pretty sure the last time was when I was trekking in the Himalayas. I tell you one thing - it sure is nice not to have to hike 10 miles a day feeling like this!!!

I'm a lot better - I haven't had the shivers and sweats for over a day, and there is less junk in my lungs. Sadly that seems to make it harder to cough out, and lying down makes it worse - so sleep is a problem. I also can't talk normally without sparking a coughing fit so I communicate with whispering and gestures... Milord was finding it funny but I think it's getting on his nerves now!

It's been glorious weather. Apparently.

Luckily Milord has had things to occupy him - he's been golfing and working a bit of overtime. When he's home he's happy to read or watch TV. I've been reading a lot, but TV not so much and blog posting was way to much of a challenge!

Today is Monday and I'm supposed to be at work. When I rang in to tell them I wasn't coming no one could recognise my voice! Now I'm watching daytime TV - something I only ever do when I'm ill. Since the last time I was seriously ill we've got cable so I'm hopping around the channels. Sci Fi channel right now - Terminator 2, and now Stargate SG1 - a very early episode.

I'm very tired of being ill.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oh, that bites. I'm sorry you're feeling cruddy and hope you get on the mend soon.

Kathryn Meakin said...

Oh no! Sorry to hear you were so poorly. I had a chesty cough/cold for a week over xmas too but yours sounded far worse :( Glad to hear you are on the mend though, and that Milord has been taking good care of you :)