Monday, 8 December 2008

Murky Monday

It is the middle of a summer's afternoon, but sitting here on the 25th floor of an air conditioned office block you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a winter evening... A thunderstorm is advancing on the city and it is very dark outside, apart from the odd lightning flash. It's actually warm and muggy out there, but the aircon is confusing my senses!

I don't seem to have much to say lately. I don't think I'm blogged-out, I've just been a bit busy at work, and a bit tired, and a bit cranky with PMS and money stress. Milord's tax return came back last week and we owe another $10,000. Yes, that is four zeroes.

Oh well, it's probably a good thing I can't seem to fall pregnant. Cloud, lining, silver... growl.

On the bright side, we went xmas present shopping at lunchtime. Milord knows I like books, but his selections tend to be a bit random so today I pointed out the books I'd really like. We got the "His Dark Materials" trilogy (on special, 3 for the price of 2 woohoo). I've read them before, years ago when I borrowed Kat's copies, but I want to own them and re-read them slowly. They're the books the "The Golden Compass" movie is based on. If you're into fantasy they are truly awesome - don't be put off by the "young-adult" labelling. Also "Twilight", because everyone is talking about it and it sounds right up my street (young adult again - hmmm - am I regressing?). Plus if I like "Twilight" there are several books in the series and I love finding a good series.

I bought Milord "Mort", because I've been getting him into the Terry Pratchett multiverse. Dad sent him "Guards Guards" a while back which he really enjoyed, and currently he's reading "Reaper Man".

Now maybe a couple of music CDs and our presents are done. I still have to get presents for the friends we are with on Christmas Day, but we're going budget for them this year too. A good bottle of wine and good box of chocs per couple I think. No worries.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Hey there, was just talking to a friend about the Twiglight books the other day. She was so hooked she just read and read and read for some nights and basically got v.little sleep and was shattered! She had to make up another excuse for not sleeping at work :)

Saffa Chick said...

That's pretty much what I keep hearing! I'll let know know what I think after I get my teeth into it after xmas.