Wednesday, 6 August 2008

What (was) for dinner Wednesday

Milord has been cooking for me a bit lately, even without me asking... I don't know what I did right but I'm not complaining! We came across some lamb steaks in the freezer that needed eating and Milord was craving stew, so he made me:
Lamb Stew


Milord likes getting all the ingredients ready in little bowls before he begins, like on TV cooking programs. I don't know any women who do this but all men do! I don't mind with Milord because he's quite good about washing up, but it can drive you crazy to have every pot and bowl in the house dirtied for one dish!

250g lamb steak, diced
Pre-packaged soup veg from the corner shop:
(1 parsnip
2 stalks celery
2 carrots
1 turnip
2 potatoes
1 onion)

garlic
rosemary
1 beef stock cube
olive oil

Preheat your oven to 150C (I roast at 180C, so a bit cooler than roasting heat).

Chop everything into big chunks. On the stove in a deep casserole dish fry the onions and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add the lamb and brown it. Add everything else, cover generously with hot water and bring to the boil.

Pop the casserole dish uncovered into the oven and simmer for about an hour while the liquid reduces. (This was my idea - I like simmering in the oven because the stew is less likely to burn at the bottom, and the liquid evaporates quickly.) Once the stew has thickened cover the pot and leave to cook for another hour until you are ready to eat. Don't let it dry out - add more water if necessary!

Serve in deep soup bowls. Yum!

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

I so have to try this!

Kat said...

Yum!I so fancy this.. I am rather tired of croatian food. They have lots of lovely ingredients but dont seem to be able to make anything really nice out of it! The steak is nice but you cant have that every night! Thought fish would be good too, being on the dalmation coast and all,but it has been disappointing so far! Other than the food though, a lovely holiday! This keyboard is annoying me because the z and y are the wrong way around so I keep having to correct spelling!

Saffa Chick said...

Checking my blog from Croatia while on holiday? I'm flattered ;-)