Thursday, 13 December 2007

Sunbathing...

Half an hour to go until my department goes out for Christmas lunch... I've run out of work and it's kinda boring here.

Let's go back in time...

It's 1989 in South Africa, the year I finished school, and I'm 17. The end of the year is fast approaching and it's a summer weekend - I am trying to top up my tan in the back garden. I have spread a towel or two on the grass, and have a book and soft drink within reach. I'm tanning naked today, as the garden is private, only my mother is home and I want to get rid of all tan lines. I'm stunned by the sun, hot and heavy and sweaty and I drift off to sleep, shielded behind my sunglasses.

In a corner of my awareness I hear my mum start the lawnmower. She used to run a gardening service and had this huge diesel mower that was complete overkill on our yard. It takes her a few goes to get it going, and then she begins to mow the lawn in the front of the house. A while later I wake again and I hear she is mowing the lawn near me now, beginning with the edges.

I stir, stretch and sit up, about to ask her if she wants me to move. But... it's not my mum... it's the black odd-job bloke my dad has been employing to help out around the house! He has an enormous grin on his face. I leap to my feet frantically trying to cover myself, and streak into the house juggling towels and book and drink.

From that day he always greeted me with the biggest smile...

No comments: