Tuesday, 18 December 2007

Summer Salad

Milord and I are being good in the final run up to Christmas, so I made us a cracked wheat salad with feta, mint and apricots to take to work.

It's from my WeightWatchers cookbook, and I see the recipe is on their site too.



175 g dried bulgar wheat
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 medium orange(s), use the zest and juice
2 heaped teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil, or walnut oil
1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
2 heaped tablespoon raisins, or sultanas
75 g moist packed ready to eat Apricots, chopped
2 stick celery, thinly sliced
75 g grapes, seedless and halved
100 g feta cheese, cut into small cubes
4 sprig fresh mint, to garnish

Put the bulgar wheat into a large bowl and add a generous pinch of salt. Pour over enough boiling water to cover, then leave to soak for about 20-30 minutes, until swollen and tender.

Mix together the orange zest and juice, honey, walnut oil or olive oil and chopped mint. Drain any excess water from the soaked bulgar wheat then add the orange juice dressing, stirring well. Add the raisins or sultanas, apricots, celery, grapes and cheese, tossing well to mix. Divide between four serving plates or bowls, garnish with mint sprigs then serve.

They say 6.5 points, but I used reduced fat feta and substituted apple for the grapes and raisins so I'm guessing 5 points. I gave us both a double portion, so let's say 10 points for lunch. I also threw in some rocket, sugar snap peas and cherry tomatoes I had in the fridge. Ever so yummy and very very easy to make. Filling too!

I have nothing to do at work at the moment, and with only 3 days to go before I take two weeks off over the festive break no one is giving me anything new... Man, it's boring. I've been sneaking out to do a lot of present shopping, but that's done now. I need to stock up on food, but I don't have the car today. So I'm reading a lot of blogs lately. I found this over on A Dumbbell in a Home Gym:

"I've been lifting weights much more regularly, and I think my body is in one of those periodic rearrangement phases where things start shuffling around like tectonic plates. I feel smaller again."

I know exactly what she means! I know I said I wouldn't post about my weight again this year, and to be honest there is nothing much to write home about this week, but I do feel good lately after all the gym work I've been doing. On the weekend I went through my wardrobe trying on clothes I haven't been near since my weight crept into the 70s, and things are looking better than they have in a very long time. My waist is definitely smaller, and so are my boobs (I like them small, so this is a good thing!).

Yay me ;-).

No comments: