Thursday, 2 July 2009

Preggy Update

Week: 29 and 4 days

Warning! Warning! Growth spurt!

76.5kg today.

Wow. Since I last posted about my pregnancy I've put on 2kg. I'd plateaued there for a few weeks so a growth spurt is ok and I'm still following the target curve for weight gain, but still. Wow.

Forgot to take any other measurements, but I'm pretty sure my belly is bigger!

I've been feeling ok and I'm sleeping a bit better. This week the baby seems to be turned inwards so she kicks me in the organs... a bit ouch but for some reason easier to sleep through than when she's kicking outward.

I did the glucose tolerence test this week - it's a standard preggy test looking for gestational diabetes. First they take a blood sample, and then hand you a cup of glucose solution. The sweet drink is not as nasty as I'd heard - it's a lot like undiluted softdrink cordial, which I used to like to sip when I was a child! Then you sit around for an hour and then they take some more blood. For this test I didn't have to fast (there is a more accurate test where you fast overnight) so I made sure I had a decent breakfast in case that would help my body metabolise the sugar! We shall see.

My doctor also took a vaginal swab looking for Group B Strep, a bacteria harmless to women but dangerous to newborns.

Plus they're going to check my iron levels as a matter of routine. I wonder if my iron is low - that would explain why I'm so tired. Although it's not a "falling-asleep-at-my-desk-tired", it's a "can't-be-arsed-to-grocery-shop-tired". Probably just "pregnancy-tired". Growing this new person is a bit draining.

Here's a shot of me at the end of the day after a huge meal... and clothes make me look bigger. Eh... who am I trying to kid? I'm huge! ('scuse the rosiness - I'd just cleansed and moisturised before bedtime)

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

You are looking fantastic!

Lisa said...

You look so amazing! It's really looking like you are incubating. I have thought that you look quite tiny, actually. xxxxx

waterbob said...

You're looking lovely Chick. Nearby now hey! Your Mom had a strong re-action to the iron supplements when she was preggies with your sister - but that might have been the anti-bodies that rejected you.

Laura said...

Awww, please stop calling yourself huge. You're gorgeous and obviously pregnant! This is actually the first photo where I really think it looks like you've *popped*. Beautiful!

Kat said...

Ah goodness, look at you :) Can you still touch your toes? Glad to hear you are sleeping better now. Just cannot imagine the whole kicking feeling.. I think it would freak me right out!

Nat said...

Looking fab, Saffa :-)