Monday, 13 July 2009

Book Review - Blueprint by Lynnette Vaughn

I read a lot of books from the library - at least one a week. This is one I picked up because the cover was interesting.

Firstly, Lynnette, if you find this via google... I'm really sorry. I hated your book.

The premise is that Christian souls are reincarnated again and again throughout the universe until they have learned all the needed lessons. Before each incarnation the soul gets to choose their parents, location and goals - the "blueprint" - then off they go and hope for the best.

In this case the soul, Arielle, has a bunch of (way too many to keep track of) friends over for dinner (no one needs to eat, they just do it for fun and you can't get fat. But you do get hangovers. Meh) and they each get to suggest a path she could follow... and most of them decide to tag along as players. Arielle amalgamates their suggestions into one life path and picks whom of her friends will embody main characters.

Then suddenly Arielle is hustled off to get born with her blueprint unfinished, and her friends have to finalise it...

And that was it. That's the book. The whole thing was just a prologue! It took me about 2 hours to read, although I admit I went faster and faster until I was super-skimming because: I hated it. Thank heavens it was short!

I'm a bit of a pedant when it comes to spelling and grammar. Well, I say pedant... it's only pedantic when you correct your friends or husband. When reading a published novel I demand correct spelling and grammar!

(These are not verbatim quotes, just how I remember them)

Misplaced apostrophes! "you're book" (no I'm not)
Wrong word choices! "Of Irish decent" (descent)
Spelling errors! "Whoppi Goldberg" (In the same para with Whoopi spelled right)
Bad quotes! "Yes. Arielle said" (eh?)
Questions lack question marks and statements get them.

Right, so that's just spelling and grammar, which gave me a headache.

The story itself was irritating. Of course everyone is gorgeous. And witty (apparently). But for thousands-year-old souls they're a bit uninformed. They ask silly questions about religeon and reincarnation, which one would assume they'd know by now. If the characters were new souls just starting their journey I'd get it, but they are not, therefore it is a condescending device to educate the reader about the author's views. Heaven, as she writes it, sounds really dull - I'd be drinking in spite of the hangovers.

Lynette, you self-published this book didn't you? I wish you'd had the funds to hire a proofreader and an editor too. I see you are about to publish the "sequel" to this story... I will not be reading it.

3 comments:

waterbob said...

I'm surprised you finished it. Normally after the second or third apparent proofreading failure, I find that it takes over from whatever the author is trying to say.
What have you read lately that you liked?

Saffa Chick said...

Luckily it was a very short book... any longer and it would have been discarded!

LynnetteVaughn said...

Saffa Chick, I do read Google, and thank you for your comments. I understand if you "hated" my book - with books you either like them or not. Yes it was self published and I did pay (handsomely) for an editor and proof reader, so you can imagine my horror and disappointment when I read the same errors! But there is nothing I can do now. One kind reader let me know that Colleen McCullough's initial release of "The Thornbirds" had grammatical mistakes and spelling errors on EVERY page including the back cover. You can be certain that I will be paying more attention to editing in any future releases. I wish you well in your journey around the world.