Thursday, 23 July 2009

Preggy Update

Week: 32 and 4 days

I've been down with a cold for the last few days. Again. Milord has now banned me from taking the bus and drives me to work in the mornings, and either picks me up after work or I take a taxi home. Swine flu is rife in Australia, and although I don't know anyone personally who has had it, being pregnant puts me in the high-risk category and I'm not taking any chances. A couple of days ago a woman lost her 36-week-old foetus due to swine flu, and several other pregnant women from Sydney have been in intensive care because of it, so we're a bit jumpy.

That said, I didn't have flu, just a head and chest cold. After struggling to beat the last cold I had I decided to totally molly-coddle myself and spent several days hardly leaving bed. I had to sleep propped up on several pillows because my sinuses were clogged and I couldn't take anything, and a sinus headache was constantly with me for a couple of days. Not much fun.

Measurements: My weight is down a smidge and my bump is steady.

Since starting the iron supplements last week I feel much perkier (even with a cold), and a side effect of that is not craving carbs and sugar so much! I think I was trying to energy-boost myself in any way possible, so I was turning to the cookies for help. Now that I don't need them I'm back on salads which is probably why I've lost a little weight. Oh, and (TMI) if your digestion is not playing ball during your pregnancy I have one word for you: celery. I brought celery sticks to work as my mid-morning snack all last week and all systems are now clear... hmm that might also explain a slight weight loss!

Here's an annoying thing (also TMI probably) - the last time I was ill I kept peeing a little when I coughed or sneezed, so I've been really good about doing my pelvic floor exercises since then in the hope that if I got sick again I'd be able to hold back during a coughing or sneezing fit. And... I still pee - not every cough or sneeze, mind you, so I think it also depends on how the baby is lying and how constricting my clothes are in the bladder region, but I'm sad to report that the peeing, it still happens.

*sigh*

3 comments:

Kat said...

Hey there, sorry to hear you have been down with a cold. Sounds like a good plan to take some extra precautions like avoiding the bus etc.. Better to be safe than sorry and all that. Anyway may main point of commenting was to find out what does "TMI" stand for???

Saffa Chick said...

heh heh heh

That's "Too Much Information". A common blog problem ;-)

greytonsal said...

Sounds like pregnant women, drunks and old people all have something in common - and it is not eating celery!