Friday, 15 February 2008

Boy Logic

A bit of a slow start today... Yesterday was Valentine's Day, and Milord and I celebrated by cooking each other dinner. I made the starter of Scallops with Pancetta and Sage on salad leaves, and Milord made the main of Beef Wellington with Horseradish Potato Cakes. It all turned out lovely and we had fun watching each other cook.

We shared a bottle of champagne while cooking, then moved on to red and white wine with the meal (I don't handle red well so avoid it). Milord started on white wine when he finished the red of course... We ended up having one of those deep and meaningful conversations, finally resolved at 1 in the morning after a bit of a rollercoaster. Ugh, first one of those this year and I hadn't missed it, but I suppose it was good to clear the air!

You know what sparked it? Milord had put a floating candle in the centre of the dining table and mentioned that he'd looked for a flower or two to float with it but we don't have any right now. I answered that this was because he doesn't "do" flowers since I dumped a bouquet on the floor 2 years ago after a fight, and that the way he carries a grudge was a bit wierd, and when was he going to let the damn thing go anyway...

What flummoxed me then was that he said he wished I'd asked him for flowers yesterday, because he'd seen all the other men carrying home bunches of roses and he wanted to bring me some, but he couldn't unless I asked for them... Now why on earth would I ask for flowers when for 2 years he has absolutely refused to bring me so much as a daisy?! Boys! I don't understand how they think.

(He ended up raiding the neighbour's garden at midnight drunk as a lord to get me a flower - I guess we're over the grudge!)

1 comment:

Tully said...

Oh that is a cute story. I am glad you got your flower in the end.

You really have to beat men over the head sometimes, they don't take subtle hints well.