Sunday, 28 November 2010

Toddler Food: Courgette (Zucchini) Cheese Ham Muffins

I rack my brain for things to feed Princess these days. She can eat anything except egg white (like in scrambled eggs, a little bit cooked in a muffin is ok) but she wants to pick it up and feed herself so that begins to rule out anything sloppy.

She has lots of sandwiches cut into little squares, and at night I'll cook her fish fingers or crumbed chicken with oven chips and veggies. While Princess seems quite happy I've been looking for finger food ideas, and here's one that went down a storm... with Princess and with Milord and me!

Recipe found here:

lunch muffins with ham, zucchini and cheddar
(makes 12 muffins)
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
¼ cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup chopped ham

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the centre. In a glass measuring cup, whisk together milk, oil and egg. Pour liquid mixture into the dry and bring together with a fork just to moisten ingredients.

Gentle fold in cheese, zucchini and ham.

Oil the cups of a regular-sized muffin pan. Divide batter evenly between the twelve muffin cups. Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes, until a tester inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean. Let cool and set in pan for about 5 minutes then transfer muffins to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container, or make a double batch and freeze.


I made mini muffins, and this makes a lot more than 24 mini muffins - I cooked the leftover batter as a very thin loaf!

While these were awesome, I'll make a couple of changes next time. I'll leave out the salt as between the ham and cheese they were salty enough already. I also might just use 2 cups of flour, as there was far too much.

2 comments:

Janey said...

Great! We are really into muffins and have a non-stick silicone muffin pan. I'm certainly going to try this one. Should go down a storm with my book club ladies too.

greytonsal said...

Oh wow, my mouth is watering! Even though I do not usually cook this sort of thing anymore (boring for one person!)I am going to make a batch and treat my team!