Saturday, 24 July 2010

Last Weekend

Last weekend Milord was off on a boy's weekend and Princess and I went to visit RuralChick and her family. They live an hour and a half inland and it is always at least 5 degrees colder there. I packed lots of warm clothes for Princess and off we went.


Usually RuralChick and I get through far too much wine but I'm completely off the grog for the first trimester so instead I took along herbal teas and we got through the weekend without a single hangover! RuralChick's 8 year old daughter is mad about babies and so Princess had a constant playmate, when she could prise her off her mum that is!

We chatted and went for a couple of frosty walks and read newspapers while kids and husband and neighbours came and went and did their thing. It was a very nice relaxing weekend - I even had a nap with Princess on Sunday afternoon!


When RuralChick has guests she sets them up in a converted barn next to the house, which has been turned into a granny-flat. It's very quiet and comfortable, but a bit chilly in spite of an oil-fin heater running flat out day and night. I was fine, under a thick blanket and duvet with an electric blanket making it toasty before I turned in, but Princess was another story. Her portacot mattress was level with the floor, and there was a significant chill at floor level. Although I'd added a warm jacket to her winter pyjamas and winter sleeping bag the poor darling had cold hands and feet by morning. I felt terrible! On the next night I had so many layers on Princess she couldn't roll over, and then at midnight I tucked a blanket over the top so she was really trapped! She was warm in the morning though...

I had assumed the chill was the reason for Princess having bad nights while we were away - she moaned every hour or so - but it seems she was teething. On Monday night (after I was home) Princess woke screaming a few times and we eventually dosed her with paracetamol which worked instantly and I could rock her to sleep. On Tuesday I had a good look and saw 2 bumps where her next 2 top teeth were nearly through. Today one of them is through and the other one is still coming but it doesn't seem to be bothering her any more, and she is back to her happy self.

4 comments:

Chuck. said...

How about the name Prince Favour for the new baby. Matching set.

waterbob said...

For what it is worth I have given up on all heaters except the small portable fan heaters. We take one with us whenever we travel and it heats up the space in minutes using so much less power than any of the other options. Being in a warm Sydney you have probable forgotten Pretoria but get one at the next sales and keep it up your sleeve for emergencies. They work! Poor little frozen mite - Granddad aches in sympathy.

greytonsal said...

Doesn't she look cosy! I had not realised that it got that cold in Sydney, but then I suppose I would not regard it as very cold as we get excited when it hits a 'high' of 19 in the summer! Lovely photos.

Suzanne said...

She seems quite happy in the pictures, even if she's teething. The picture with Rural Chick's daughter is precious!