Friday, 14 August 2009

Preggy Update

Week: 35 and 5 days

Measurements:
Weight: 80.5kg (+9kg since start)
Boobs: 103cm (+5cm since start)
Ribs: 87cm (+5cm since start)
Waist: 102cm (+15cm since start)
Hips: 105cm (+7cm since start)
Thigh: 60cm (+2cm from start)



Huh. I used to be skinny!


Ok, so here I am near the end of week 35. In just over a week my baby will be "full term" at 37 weeks, and it will be safe for her to arrive if she wants to. On the one hand I can't wait to meet her and I'm sick of being pregnant, and on the other I'd like to finish up at work and have a couple of weeks of chillout before she gets here!

Last weekend we had a day of "Parenting classes", which mostly focused on breastfeeding. Geez they push BF hard. Yes of course I intend to breastfeed but the pressure to do so and not to move onto formula if it's too hard is immense. We also watched a newborn get a bath (oh so cute), had a go at swaddling dolls, and talked about sleeping and settling and so on. We learned a lot and I think Milord enjoyed this class more than the birth one.

On Monday I had my Ob checkup. BP good, baby heart rate good and she's still head-down in a good position. He says that my placenta is well out of the way so I don't need a C/S. He also tells me the baby is a tad below average size, and I'll have no trouble squeezing her out! I like my obstetrician - he's about my Dad's age, dry sense of humour, never keeps me waiting, doesn't waffle, and any info I need he is totally clear about. Actually, he reminds of my Dad a lot...

I've started snoring like crazy now, apparently. My reaction to Milords distress is somewhere between "Oh gee, that's not very ladylike" and "Hah! Payback, you bastard!". There is so much extra fluid in my body that when I lie down my sinuses swell and I snore like a man. It's a common pregnancy symptom and there is nothing I can do about it. I'm generally a bit puffy - I'm not sure how much longer I'll be wearing my wedding ring as it's getting tight. I can also see puffiness in my face, but I don't have cankles so I'm happy.

I've begun drinking raspberry leaf tea as it is supposed to help the uterus "get toned" which will help with labour and the shrinkage afterward. I'm pretty sure it causes me some Braxton Hicks contractions when I drink it... These Braxton Hicks are wierd. They feel different to every woman, and I'd been assuming I wasn't feeling mine but now I think they are manifesting as a feeling of deep pressure - as if the baby is swelling to twice her size for a minute. I get them when I walk around, and they make me waddle for a moment!

Last weekend I had enormous trouble sleeping. I had indigestion and reflux every night and the baby never seemed to stop moving. I got pretty worried thinking this was going to be my lot until the baby arrived! However, it seems directly related to what I eat and if I avoid the following for my evening meal I'm fine and sleep like a log: starchy carbs, cheese, spicey or oily food. So, no more pizza or Indian takeaways! We've been on salads for dinner this week and I'm ok. Phew. Of course this means I snore more...

Hey, something I didn't know: I already have colostrum (pre-milk breastmilk) available in my boobies. We learned in the class that it had probably been around since week 20 to 28. I know IrishMILF had been leaking from week 20, but as I haven't leaked at all I assumed there was nothing there. Once we were home I had a go at hand expressing, and got a couple of drops from each boob - cool!

On the subject - I'm a bit worried about the discomfort in my future around breastfeeding. I know the professionals all say that if the latch is good there will be no pain, but I also hear loads of mommies say the chomping is jolly sore even when the latch is right. At this point the pros say "Oh that? That's not pain. And after a couple of weeks your nipples will toughen up and it will go away." A generation ago our mothers were told to scrub their nipples to toughen them before the birth, but today they say "Argh, don't do that!". Because BF doesn't hurt if you're doing it right. Apart from the "That's not pain, you wuss" initial nipple tenderness. Yes I'm confused.

Sooo, I have decided to express a drop from each boobie every morning until the baby gets here to get them used to some rough handling. I have read that this can kick-start labour, but then I've also heard that overdue moms have had no joy from using it as an induction device, so whatever. I'll let you know how the toughening up goes (right now it's a bit sore)! I'll also be doing the lanolin and sunshine thing once I'm home full time.

2 weeks of work left. I am getting very tired and achey in the afternoons now and have begun to reduce my working hours. Of course the team doesn't really appreciate this but I don't care! Yesterday I was packing up at 4:30 when an analyst arrived at my desk...

"You aren't leaving already are you?!"
"The baby wants to go home."
"Oh. Wow, yes you do look tired."
"Thanks"

3 comments:

Doc Manette said...

That is so cool how you photo-doc'd your pregnancy. Sorry about the acid reflux!

My favorite meal at night toward the end was Life cereal.


In America, the nurses can be bithcy and act as if your are the worlds worst mother for not attempting breast feeding - I gave it a try and my b**bs were just too big (seriously) very hard for baby to latch on.

So don't sweat it - good luck!

Suzanne said...

My experience with BF'ing each time is that the first two weeks of latching on caused tremendous discomfort. After that, it was smooth sailing.

Mark JS Esslemont said...

Mega patience needed after the birth too.