Wednesday, 4 February 2009

Tourist Sydney

If any of you out there live in a "Tourist Destination" (London, Cape Town, New York etc) then you will know how blasé you can get about where you live. With the daily grind of work, groceries, cooking and laundry it is easy to forget that you live in one of the world's most desirable locations.


So it's fun to have people visit and to take them around the sights! Mom has been here before but she didn't have time in Sydney. On Saturday we went exploring: we caught a train to Circular Quay (between the Harbour Bridge and Opera House) and walked to an area called The Rocks, which is probably the oldest part of the city. There is an up-market craft market there every weekend, and we amused ourselves browsing through it and bought each other a pair of earrings.


After a soft drink (the Saffa tour of Sydney is a bit different these days - it used to involve bar-hopping the whole way) we went back to Circular Quay and hopped on a ferry, which tootled around the harbour for an hour. Then we caught a bus to Darling Harbour and had a late lunch, then I took her for a stroll along the way I sometimes walk to work. And then we got a bus home and collapsed!


Sunday was a very hot day so we wussed out and slept late, browsed around a shopping centre and watched a movie before having a quiet night in.

Mom's been meeting me for lunch every other day, and wandering around Sydney the rest of the time. Only 2.5 working days left before I am on holiday and can spend time with her properly - I am so tired by the time I get home after work that I'm not very good company.

I'm not convinced I'm good company anyway. Perhaps I am in the throes of the dreaded "pregnancy mood swings"... Mom and Milord keep teasing me about my "moods" - which incidentally is a very good way to make me furious! They also drink stinky wine around me and complain about my picky appetite... so I'm trying to say nothing and keep out of their way, which isn't exactly good hostess behaviour.

Then again I overheard Milord telling Mom that I have been extremely cheerful lately, so perhaps they are just trying to wind me up.

*growl* Leave the pregnant woman alone!

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

It looks like you are having a glorious summer there! They need to take the stinky wine out on the patio, so as to not upset the woman who can't drink any!

Doc Manette said...

Absolutely beautiful! But I read in the paper it is extremely down under.

You are in the "walking with sandbags on your calfs, through water" phase. By week 13, you will begin to feel super human - I swear the second and most of the third trimester are incredible.