Tuesday, 25 November 2008

Sketching

When I was in school I knew that I wanted to make my career as an artist. I took Art to the end of school and when I left school I went straight to art college.

It didn't work out for me - I didn't have the self discipline for Graphic Design, and I realised Fine Art was not a good career choice! So I dropped out and today I'm a senior software developer which I'm pretty good at. And it pays very very well!

Art has remained my hobby. When I lived in South Africa I always had my easel up with a sketch or painting in progress. I thought I was rather good at my hobby and I'd give the best ones away as gifts.

Then I moved to England and I didn't have space for my easel for 5 years, and once I had the space I'd lost my "touch" and my drawings were a little embarrassing! I briefly dated a bloke who was a graphic designer and he was very unenthusiatic about my art which was another blow to my confidence.

Now I'm in Australia. I have the space, I have the light, and I have a gorgeous husband who encourages me to indulge my hobby. It has been nearly 10 years since I drew regularly, and I'm very nervous!

I drew this on Saturday while Milord was playing golf. It is from a photo we took at the Sydney zoo earlier this year...


I'm not entirely happy with it, but Milord went "Wow! That's fantastic!" when he came home. He's a lovely man!

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

I love it. Chalk or pencil?

Saffa Chick said...

Thank you! Various shades of grey, white and black chalk pastels on black paper.

waterbob said...

Hey Chick - so glad to see that you have got out the art bits. I have been waiting a long time for you to have the space, time and inclination to do it again. I can remember how you used to sell framed animal sketches for pocket money and your multi-coloured eagle still has a proud place on the lounge wall. Great to see you starting something you loved so much again. And it looks super!

Saffa Chick said...

Thanks Dad ;-)

Fancy you remembering my attempt to sell sketches when I was in school... what you don't remember is that I didn't manage to sell even one of them! A bit of a blow to the ego, and probably one of the reasons I'm a programmer today.

Auds at Barking Mad said...

Wow, just WOW! You're so talented. That's a gorgeous rendering of the tiger.