Friday, 3 October 2014

Rainbow Cupcakes

Princess wanted a Rainbow cake for her birthday which looked seriously difficult to make, so I made rainbow cupcakes instead. I experimented all week following various recipes (rainbow cupcakes are not easy! we were all sick of cake by the time I got it right!), and this is what worked in the end:

Makes 7 cupcakes (the original recipe says 12, but I always ended up with 7 or 8)

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup caster sugar
  • 125g unsalted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup self-raising flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 4 bottles food colouring, red, blue, yellow, green
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Line a 12 hole cupcake tray with patty cups.
  • Cream the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy.
  • Beat the eggs in one at a time adding a little flour in each time until the ingredients are mixed.
  • Add the vanilla essence and mix. Then add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time mixing after each addition.
  • Divide the mixture into 5 bowls and mix quite strong colours (red, orange, blue, green, purple)
  • Blob colours into the cupcake cases. I couldn't get layers to work so I went with a more random effect!
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
You have to put in quite a lot of food colouring to get a great effect. Be warned though - overdoing it can give you blue or green poo - Princess was thrilled! "Maybe tomorrow my poo will be purple!"


Blobs of cake mix.


Cooked.


I cannot decorate a cake. Luckily my kids are little enough that Cake! and Icing! and Sprinkles! is good enough no matter how it looks.


I forgot to get a shot of a cake cut through, but you can get an idea here:

No comments: