Thursday, 8 March 2012

Fashion Show

It is a chilly wet day, Milord has the car (with the pram in the boot), and both kids have colds. How shall we amuse ourselves? How about playing dress-up?!

A few days ago we all went to a Christening and I put Princess in a dress for the first time since she began crawling (because she doesn't walk much and crawling gets her tangled in dresses). I put leggings on under her dress so that after the service when she wanted to play on the floor I could just tuck the skirt into it!

Princess was intrigued by her collection of unworn dresses (mostly hand-me-downs) and today asked to wear one, so I thought we could try on a few! I set up a mirror in the living room and brought out all the dresses.

I got her to stand up in front of the mirror. She's a bit wobbly but it's great that she can stand on her own now!

We started with a fairy dress on over her shirt and pants.



Then she tried on the dress and pretty new shoes I intend for her to wear to King's Christening on Sunday.



Then a Dora dress, which is rather short and can probably be worn as a long top over trousers.



And a red dress.



Then a long pink dress which she had a go at walking around in. This is Princess' walking style - all elbows! She has her eyes on the prize - a jellybean. The dress was too long for walking practice though - when she fell over she couldn't get up without standing on it, which made her fall again.



Then back into comfy top and pants for a turn in King's bouncer!



After a rest Princess did more walking with me. I set up waystations of low tables between the front and back of the house, and slowly got her to walk from furniture item (and jellybean) to furniture item (and jellybean) until she managed the whole length of the house. This is quite an achievement as most of the house has hard wooden floors and Princess dislikes walking on hard surfaces. She will usually only walk on the living room mat because it is soft to fall on. I think having tables to stop at along the way gave her confidence, plus the more she falls the more she will realise that it doesn't really hurt too much.

We really hope she'll get the hang of this walking thing by the time she turns 3!

PS. Princess had her first haircut last week. I want to keep her hair this length because any longer and it gets knots, plus this way it is more curly too!

2 comments:

waterbob said...

Great pics and so exciting about her walking. Thanks for the fix.

Suzanne said...

The curls are so adorable, and I enjoyed her fashion show. :)