Old News - Newsletter February 2006
So, six weeks in Sydney now:
Milord and I are still getting on well.
I’ve been for one interview but didn’t get it.
Life is still good ;-)
And… it keeps raining! Who said this place is hot and
dry? It’s a myth – I’ve seen more rain in the past six
weeks than we had in the entire English summer. We
have the odd hot dry day, but the rest of the time it
is overcast and drizzly. They tell me to enjoy it
while it lasts, but it’s affecting my beach-time! I’d
be on Bondi right now, not writing emails, if it was a
nice day!
The job hunting is very slow – although there are a
few jobs going my visa status puts me at the bottom of
the pile. Because sponsorship would take 3+ weeks, and
everyone wants someone to start “tomorrow”, I’m not
getting much interest. There is one possible nibble at
the moment, so I’ll keep you posted! I had an
interview just over a week ago, but it was in an area
I don’t want to work in, and didn’t really go all that
well anyway (over in 10 min – not a good sign!). I
keep reminding myself that I’ve only been looking for
two weeks and that it took me 3 months to land my
first London role… Don’t panic!
Getting a little bored with being alone during the day
now… sightseeing is not nearly the same on your own. I
meet Milord for lunch a couple of times a week and do the
odd exploration to stay sane, but I could do with a
job – or a girlfriend to hang out with!
The house is completely rearranged cleaned and tidied,
and I am now very comfortable in it. I’ve been doing a
bit of gardening too and we moved all the containers
around a week or two ago, so that occupied me for a
couple of days. Milord has flowers growing outside now,
which he grumbles about but I think might secretly
like! Anyone who saw my garden last summer will know I
like a riot of colour, so I’m slowly sneaking flowers
into the shrubbery ;-). We also now have a herb garden
which is fun. I used our own chives in the scrambled
eggs on Sunday!
Milord is looking after me very nicely. For Valentine’s
he took me out to a restaurant called Café Sydney,
which overlooks the Harbour Bridge and the Opera
House. It was fabulous! Apart from that he generally
spoils me and treats me like a princess, which I could
definitely get used to! He is avoiding any “future”
discussions until he gets to know me better, which is
probably sensible… but frustrating! I sometimes feel
like I’m on an indefinite probation period! He has
some emotional baggage from his horrible marriage to
work out, but I’m hoping that when the divorce comes
through (in about a month) he’ll be able to move on
and do the commitment thing. Or at least stop looking
at me like I’m about to grow snakes for hair! He’s the
best boyfriend I’ve ever had so I really shouldn’t
complain - I’d probably run a mile if he suddenly got
serious :-p.
What else? I’ve done some exploring, and got terribly
lost trying to drive from home to Manly beach. I ended
up circling the eastern suburbs of central Sydney for
a while, which is utterly in the wrong direction!
Turns out the SatNav doesn’t know about one of the
newer tunnels under the city so accidentally sent me
into it… and sometimes the GPS gets confused and
thinks I am 2 blocks away from where I actually am and
tries to take me the wrong way down one way streets! I
am reverting to paper maps!


No comments:
Post a Comment