Old News - Newletter January 2006
Greetings all from Sydney!
This is going to be long, so the summary is:
Milord and I are getting on well.
I have not been for any interviews yet.
Life is good ;-).
I have been here more than three weeks now, and I love
it. I haven’t been in much contact because every time
I sit down at the pc during the day I get distracted,
and in the evenings we are either busy or Milord needs
his computer.
Milord and I are getting along well now, although the
first week was a little difficult. We’ve both been
living alone for a long time, and it is hard to adjust
to living with someone you don’t really know except on
email! We seem to have gotten over that now, and have
had an excellent couple of weeks since and are able to
talk about the future a little bit.
So, what have I been up to? Mostly I’ve been getting
Milord’s house girl-friendly. He’s been single a long
time, and if his wife ever decorated this house I
can’t find a sign of it ;-). Luckily he has a cleaner
who comes every fortnight, so it wasn’t really that
grubby, but I still needed to scrub every surface,
shelf and cupboard before I felt comfortable. Things
in the fridge were years out of date and there was
junk crammed everywhere! I’ve been systematically
cleaning and de-cluttering each room, cleaning
windows, washing curtains and hiding trinkets (if he
hasn’t missed them in 6 months I’ll ditch them!). I’m
also quietly replacing the bed linen and adding
cushions and vases of flowers. It is starting to feel
like a girl lives here now! Sadly it is a rented
house, so there is only so much I can do.
It is a 2 bed detached little house, with front, side
and rear gardens. There is a lounge that we have
turned into a lounge/diner, and an open plan
kitchen/living area which opens onto the side and back
gardens. It is a very old property, and it seems to
have last been decorated in the ‘60s or ‘70s, which
drives me a bit crazy. I don’t know how long there
have been tenants in here, but it needs a lot of love
and restoration... oh well, not really my problem! We
are talking of buying a place of our own in a couple
of years – not sure where though.
The suburb we are in is called Balmain. It is 15 min
west of central Sydney over the Anzac bridge, very
trendy and packed with restaurants, pubs and
boutiques. Kind of the Hampstead of Sydney! Very
expensive, but a nice lifestyle ;-). We’re torn
between staying here or getting something closer to
the beaches.
It has rained almost every day since I arrived, and
today is cool and overcast again. Apparently this is
unusual weather and I’ll miss it when it goes. I
suppose so, but I have exhausted my wet-weather
sightseeing options, and just wish it would stay sunny
for me to go walking and go to the beaches! It is far
more humid than I expected, but I don’t know if that
is a side effect of all the rain! We’ve had a couple
of hot days, but it has been mostly in the mid 20s.
The place sure is green though!
Milord took a week off when I arrived, and we spent time
exploring Sydney and Balmain, and also went diving. I
am afraid I have been very spoiled by my Thai and Red
Sea diving, as diving off Sydney was not very
exciting! The visibility is less than 10m, and I kept
having to strain for a flash of fins to see where the
guide went. On the upside, Milord is a great dive buddy!
We are talking of going for a quick dive after work
next week with friends, followed by a barbie on the
beach – it’s a hard life!
We went to the Hunter Valley for a long weekend after
I arrived. The Hunter Valley is the closest wine
region to Sydney – about 2 hours north, and Milord has a
holiday property (that he is trying to sell as it is a
joint property with his ex) and friends there. We
stayed with his friends T and N, who were
lovely. Milord and I spent a day wine tasting, he had a
game of golf at dawn one day while I slept in, and the
rest of the time we ate, drank and socialised as it
was T’s birthday and they had a number of friends
staying! A very nice introduction to the area!
I watched Milord at the golf driving range one morning,
and he was startled at my knowledge – seems all those
years of accompanying Mountain Man has rubbed off. I was able
to say “did you mean to slice that?” which for some
reason he found impressive! I might have a go at
taking up the game again, but at the moment I prefer
watching. If his next game is not too early I’d like
to walk the course with him. He plays off 7, so will
be worth watching.
Last weekend we borrowed a friend’s property in
Thredbo in the Snowy Mountains. They are about 5 hours
south of Sydney, and in winter have some of the best
skiing in Australia (not sure what that means!). As it
was summer we went walking instead, and Milord christened
his first ever pair of hiking boots by summiting the
highest peak in Australia! Sounds impressive, but
actually it is a 300m climb over 7km from the top of
the chairlift! It is such a popular walk that they
have replaced the path with a raised metal grid
walkway, and anyone from 5 to 75 can do it easily ;-).
Still, I am very impressed that Milord is making the
effort to learn my favourite land hobby! Now I have to
get into cycling in return… I’m using the excuse that
we have no-where to keep another bike, but we’ll be
asking the landlord for a bigger shed so I might end
up having to do it! Oh well, compromise is everything
;-). He’s even mentioned giving dancing a bash, so I
really can’t complain!
While we were in the mountains Milord had an afternoon of
fly fishing. I kept him company by finding a large
rock in the shade and reading my book and watching
him, and the beetles and lizards. He seemed to
appreciate it though! I might give it a go sometime
;-).
In between all of this I have been exploring Balmain
and Sydney. I’ve been into most of the shops in
Balmain now, and am slowly getting my bearings. I
haven’t driven alone yet, but will probably do so
soon. That’s when I’ll really get my bearings as I get
lost and go in circles for an afternoon! I’ve popped
into Sydney a couple of times on the bus, gone to
museums etc and met Milord for lunch. I spent much of a
morning in the Sydney Tower with a map, working out
where everything is, and that helped a lot!
We’ve been out a lot, either to friends or just out on
our own. We hosted a dinner party last week that went
remarkably well. I have annoying habit of falling
asleep suddenly at dinner parties here though, and
it’s not because I’m bored! I don’t think I’m really
sleeping that well yet, it takes more than a few weeks
to get used to a snoring partner, but I’m getting
there. In the meantime my wheels fall off from time to
time! Milord finds it cute…
I’ve not been looking very hard for a job, but is
starting to push me. He’s sent out my cv to people he
knows in the industry, so I am waiting for the phone
to ring. I have a fair bit of savings yet, so there is
no urgency. Of course, if I haven’t swung a visa
within 3 months I have to go out of the country and
come back again… Maybe a quick weekend in Auckland!


No comments:
Post a Comment