Saturday, 4 May 2013

Granny

So, my Mom has been living with us for 5 months in our little 2 bedroom house. That's got to be most people's idea of hell, right?

Actually, we are all rubbing along very nicely. Mom has taken over dishes and laundry and helps out enormously with the kids, who adore her. Milord gets slightly twitchy sometimes, but if he was at work all day instead of underfoot I think he'd be fine.

With me having to go back to work suddenly, Mom has been a real trouper and volunteered to mind one child every workday and do the daycare dropoff and pickup for the other one (we think they are too little to be in daycare every day of the week).



Sharing a room with the kids is probably the hardest part, as they seem to be continually taking turns at having a cold and coughing all night. A bit of a shock to the system after 10 years living alone!

On the days that both kids are in daycare Mom and I go exploring Sydney or hiking. It is great fun to have someone to play with!



A few weeks back Mom bought a little old campervan (a very basic converted panel van). She has cleaned it up and it is now very comfy. About once a month Mom heads off for a week to explore. I am very jealous!



Right now Mom is housesitting for friends of mine who are away for 2 weeks. She's loving the solitude, but is still close enough to pop in or babysit. She's loving it, and will be looking into professional housesitting as well as part time work for when she's in town and the kids are in daycare.

I am very lucky that I get on so well with my Mom, and that she gets on with everyone else! It's brilliant.

1 comment:

Estelle said...

All I can say is you are an amazing child.xxxxxxxxxx

your other mother