Old News - Newsletter April 2002
Well, it has now been over a week of 'being single'! I
was very sad, now I'm kind of numb. Still not angry
which is great! It was definitely the right decision.
Mountain Man is having a ball being a bloke - doing mad hikes
(60km in one day last weekend!), golfing, clubbing,
and all the things I don't like. And turning his room
into a disaster zone - I have to stop myself going in
to tidy!
I've been a bit busy to do much, but I have been
spending time with my Mom, who is loving it! I promise
to catch up with everyone soon, once my office move is
over - that is dominating things at the moment. I have
begun researching cookery weekends, painting weekends
and rambling weekends - which I have always fancied
doing!
We're not actually masochists - Mountain Man and I are not
really expecting living together to work once we start
dating - we just don't have many options right now! We
can't give notice for 6 months, Mountain Man has nowhere to
go, and I can't afford the place on my own. So we are
staying together by default really... seems to be
working. No fights, just a strange feeling when we
wish each other goodnight and go to our separate
rooms.
So anyway, let me tell you of the last couple of
weeks. As you know we moved to Putney 3 weeks ago -
sorry there has been no housewarming, but things have
been a bit wierd! The move went well, and we are
loving our new flat - it is about 15 mins from Putney
rail, and a little further from East Putney tube
(although 4 busses come very close). It's really big
and airy, and has a garage too. And 2 bedrooms - thank
goodness!
For Easter we went to Barcelona. We got there late
Thursday night, slept and got up the next morning to
find it pouring with rain! We scuttled in and out of
museums, had a walk along the seafront in horizontal
rain (glad I have short hair), found a place for a
lovely seafood lunch, and got back to our hotel around
4. Then a siesta, and out for dinner at 8 - we drank
many litres of beer and wine with dinner, and made
friends with a couple of ladies from Newcastle who
were a hoot.
Then we found a tiny funky bar for a nightcap. Around
this point Mountain Man bumped the table and knocked a beer
across me, so I tipped one over him (thinking it was
funny). We had a little spat about it, went back to
the hotel, sorted things out, and broke up. No, I
don't remember why, and neither does he. But it has
been coming a long time, and was perfectly mutual.
We'd each been waiting for the right time to bring it
up, and apparently the first day of a 4 day holiday in
Barcelona was it!
We chatted until 4 in the morning, then passed out.
The next morning (Saturday) we agreed that we still
felt the same in the cold light of day, and dragged
our hangovers out into the city. We followed a walking
tour for most of the morning, had a lie down, and then
walked down to the harbour. We took an awesome cable
car ride from a huge tower in the harbour to a hill
and back - superb views! Then back to the hotel for a
bath and change.
I started feeling really ill, but figured I was just
still hungover, and at 9 we went restaurant hunting.
We got into a very super one at 9:45, and ordered. I
was feeling horrid, but nibbled a little bread hoping
my stomach would settle. When my main course came I
took one sniff and bolted for the door! Poor Mountain Man
finished his meal in solitary splendour, paid and left
with staff sniggering at him, and got back to the
hotel to find me still crouched over the Big White
Telephone.
This continued violently from both ends (yes, too much
detail I know) until about 3am, when I merely felt
dreadful. Mountain Man woke at 8 feeling grim, and began
Driving the Great White Bus by midday. We reckon I
caught a tummy bug, and gave it to him. So a joint
miserable 36 hours proceeded... we didn't leave the
hotel at all on Sunday!
On Monday morning we shot out to do some frantic
sightseeing - and crammed in as much Gaudi as
possible, before turning weak as day-old lambs at
midday and grabbing a taxi to the airport. And so
home, where we moved Mountain Man's things into the spare
room, and began this strange living arrangement.
Last weekend Mountain Man went off with C to do an
organised 37 mile hike, involving navigation and so
on. There was a 13 hour cutoff, and they made it in
12! Then drove back to London! Madness...
I went to my Mom's on Friday night, and stayed until
Sunday night. We had a lovely time - A is away so
we hardly drew breath for chatting for 2 days! I got
back Sunday night, and Mountain Man's feet were still very
swollen from his hike, and he could hardly walk!
My office moves over this coming weekend, and things
are a bit fraught. Every project except my baby have
been migrated over just fine - mine fails. It has
taken the IT team 6 days to get things working, and we
still don't understand the problem. Luckily they let
me go at 8:30pm Friday night, as everyone else hung on
all weekend trying different configurations. I really
hate computers sometimes.
I will be at work on Saturday making sure things go
alright. *sigh*
My Mom is picking me up from work on Saturday, and
I'll stay there until Monday, when I am going to Drive
to work. Yes - I have a CAR! Mom found it at a farm
auction for £350! The insurance for it costs £465! I
haven't driven in two years, and so I am a bit
nervous... and getting home is going to be very
interesting! Think of me on Monday evening!


No comments:
Post a Comment