Old News - Newsletter Feb 2002
Well, interesting times over here (I do believe that's
a Chinese curse or something).
As you may know by now, Mountain Man has been made redundant -
well we're 99% sure he is. He'll find out for certain
on Thursday, but we're quite sure. He got told last
Wednesday afternoon, and hasn't had to go into work
since - which is a bit of a giveaway! His company have
decided to stop developing products, and do consulting
with their existing product, or something like that.
So bye-bye developers. It's a bit of a shock, but
we've almost got our heads around it. Luckily he has a
bit of money saved, so I don’t have to support him
just yet!
Mountain Man is now frantically trying to get another company
to take over his work permit, on which he still has 3
years. If he swings it then this will have been all
for the best! He was fed up with his job, and was just
killing time waiting for the market to improve. He's
hoping to get back into contracting, at which point I
am going to be horribly jealous – permanent work
sucks! We’re not expecting him to have much of a
problem, although the market could be much better.
In spite of this we have decided to carry on with our
move into a bigger, more expensive flat! We’ve found a
lovely 2-bedroom flat in Putney, and will be moving at
the end of March. It’s very spacious, and even has a
garage to store bicycles and stuff – I’d love to get a
car, but probably won’t in the near future!
I’ve finished repainting our current flat back to
cream, and taken down all the shelving I put up. All
our things are now stacked in piles against the walls
again… sigh. Our next flat has lots of built-in
cupboards, and I can’t wait!
My job move is progressing in a whirl of paperwork.
The company that has bought us is a huge established
one, and so they have lots of paperwork routines in
place to which we have to conform. I haven’t written a
document since I was studying, and they’re going to
send us on training to teach us how!
T and J are now engaged. They’re expecting to
marry next January, and the planning is already in
full swing. As one of the bridesmaids I get to trail
around choosing dresses and fabric and patterns and
hen night and so on. I am not having a wedding if I
get married – far too much effort!
I’ve had a raise and a bonus in the past few weeks,
which was very nice indeed. I’ve slapped most of the
bonus into savings, and the rest will pay for my 30th
birthday party in 2 weeks and my trip home in
November. The raise will half cover my rent increase!
What with job loss, job move, home moving and turning
30 we are a little stressed! Interesting times indeed.


No comments:
Post a Comment