Thursday, 1 March 2001

Old News - Newsletter March 2001

Hi all

Spring is springing over here at last. Trees are starting to blossom, bulbs are coming up and I have begun getting hayfever already. It is still light when I leave work in the evening, and the sun is actually up when I arrive in the morning. In spite of this we are in the middle of the usual February cold snap – snow has swept most the country and is forecast here later today. It is going well below freezing at night, and we are all moaning about it in the traditional fashion.

I have 3 days left at work, and am going flat out trying and finish bits and pieces. The project is very close to deadline now, and all the developers are extremely stressed. I did a demo this morning that went well, so I am slacking off a little this afternoon. I am going to spend the next couple of days documenting, as the person who takes over from me is going to have a nightmare. My section has been worked on by 5 people, all with different styles. And nothing has ever been written down, so trying to take over is not much fun! They did ask me to extend my contract, but they only asked last week, which is rather short notice. I had already booked my Switzerland trip, and there is the house-hunting problem too. I have offered to come in part-time after Switzerland, but haven’t had any feedback on that. If they take me up on it I am going to boost my rate through the ceiling!

I haven’t been up to much as I’m working very hard in Farnham in the week, and on the weekends I am very tired and don’t feel doing anything! The weekend before last all my housemates were away, and I spent it sleeping and watching videos.

This past weekend I got home at 8 just as my housemates were going out to dinner, and I decided to skip that and relax at home instead. On the Saturday I started touching up the paintwork in the flat – we are taking no chances on not getting our deposit back! I was running around removing posters and picture-hooks, then filling holes and painting them. Then because we can’t quite match the existing paint colour I have to roller the whole wall with a thinned layer of the new paint to camouflage the patched bits! I’ve done the walls in my bedroom that don’t have heavy furniture against them, and I’ll do the others when Mountain Man is here to help. On Saturday night we went to T’s brother's housewarming. It was very pleasant, and at midnight we were standing outside braaing in the snow! Different. We got home at 2am, and then on Sunday got up early and went out for a pub lunch with James, Budge and Whale, and a lot of people I didn’t quite get introduced to. I left the pub at 3:30 to run errands and do my ironing and packing for the week, and was asleep by 7 – I was completely knackered! The rest of the house got home at 11 – a very long (and mostly liquid by the sound of it) lunch! They then proceeded to play classical music at thunderous volume, and I blessed the soul that invented earplugs as I shut out the racket and drifted back into dreamland.

Some of my workmates have a really grungy digs in Farnham, and they have started having me over for dinner once a week. It reminds me a lot of when I was a student, and most of my friends lived in dodgey digs! Anyway, it’s a pleasant change from sitting alone in the B&B, and after the third glass of wine I don’t notice how bad the place is. Last week I could barely walk home, so with any luck I will take it easy tonight! I joined a mob of work people at the pub after work last night, and when I got to my B&B at about midnight I found they’d turned off all the lights, including the ones outside. It took me ages to get the door unlocked (I’d only had 3 pints, so shush) as I had to feel for the keyhole and then try and get the key in the right way up. Then I groped my way through the hallway and up the stairs, terrified of knocking over one of the many knick-knacks the place is filled with. I couldn’t find any light switches, and gingerly made my way to my room, praying it was the right one! I shall have to keep my wits about me tonight in case they do it again!

Mountain Man gets home on Sunday, and I am really looking forward to having him back. It’s been a long 3 weeks without him! Then I fly out first thing on Monday. I am really looking forward to it! My Mom called me last Sunday, and she is getting the hang of skiing, and having a great time. My last skiing trip was very intense, with the whole group determined to ski as far and as long as possible every day, with just a quick break for a teetotal lunch. I’m pretty sure that this trip will far more laid back, with plenty of gluwein at lunch, and leisurely runs afterward! We will probably do other stuff too, as the others are there for at least 6 weeks and so can focus on more than just skiing. It should be good fun!

That’s about it from me!

No comments: