Monday, 27 June 2011
Monday, 20 June 2011
I haven't done a meme (basically a chain-letter type post about yourself that you then tag someone else to do too) in yonks. Years maybe. My real-life friend and fellow blogger Nat tagged me for a couple a while back... a very long while back!
Seeing as I'm too tired to do much else today (I think Zeus is hitting another growth spurt as I'm shattered in spite of sleeping well) I think I'll try to catch up on these ;-)
Meme 1: 7 Facts About You
1. I don't think I have any phobias. Certain things will make me uncomfortable or shudder, but not in an uncontrollable phobic way.
2. One of the things that gives me the shudders is cockroaches... I used to be fine with them until the year we dissected them for Biology in school. My home room was the Biology class and the big jars of roaches in formaldehyde hanging around for half the summer gave me the heebie jeebies and that's never quite gone away!
3. I'm a much better mummy than I thought I would be. A few years ago I would have said my major fault was a short temper, but having kids has given me the longest fuse ever! Even with my husband - so maybe I'm a better wife than I thought I would be too... except of course I can't wrestle him into submission and put him to bed if he's being cranky!
4. As much as I dislike being pregnant it really agrees with me! My skin and hair are lovely, everywhere except the bump is slender, my blood pressure is perfect... now if I could just achieve this without 5kg+ of bump hanging out in front. And without having my sex drive take a hike for the whole 9 months. And the peeing when I sneeze thing. Did I mention I dislike being pregnant?
5. The best part of the day is when Princess takes a nap and I can sit down with my book and a cup of tea and blessed silence. No TV, no radio, no chatter, just MEeeeee. I'm one of those people who enjoys their own company and doesn't get bored or lonely provided there is a good book at hand.
6. I am a little surprised that I don't miss the work environment. I used to enjoy the challenge of my job and the socialising around the watercooler, but I don't miss it now that I'm a stay-at-home-mum. I miss the buzz of being in the City, and I sure do miss that paycheque, but working? Nah.
7. I do class what I do as work though. I'm Nanny and Housekeeper 24/7 and it helps to remember it from time to time when "working" people ask if you are "back at work yet". My standard answer tend to be "Not PAID work. hahahah".
Meme 2: Your Blog is Breathtaking
1. What inspires you?
I'm inspired by travel. New places and people and experiences and foods. Being pushed out of my comfort zone and finding a whole new one. Learning a smattering of a different language and goggling at a different culture.
2. What is your favourite season and why?
In Cape Town, it is summer: Barbeques, beaches and hikes on long warm windy days. In London it is spring: Blossoms and buds and bulbs and the whole world waking up after a long sleep. In Sydney it is winter: Bright crisp days but still warm enough in mid-June that the garden is flowering.
3. What are you most looking forward to this year?
Meeting my baby boy! Finishing with pregnancy forever! Having my mum visit and watching her play with Princess and cuddle the new baby.
4. If you could write a book about anything, what would you write about?
Maybe about the trials and tribulations of emigrating to a new country... twice.
5. What is your greatest passion?
Travel. No wait... my family. I can't wait until the kids are old enough to combine the two!
6. If you could change one thing about your life or yourself what would it be and why?
I'd like to win the lottery! But that's not what you meant... ummm. Nothing really - I'm very happy with me and my life right now. But lots of money would be nice!
7. Lastly, what is your favourite novel?
I don't have one but my favourite genre is a good Fantasy - like George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series. I really wish he could shake his writer's block and finish it!
Meme 3: Me, Me, Me, just Me
1. if you have pets, do you see them as merely animals, or are they members of your family?
I have no pets and I want no pets.
2. if you can have a dream come true, what would it be?
...I'd like to win the lottery!
3. what is the one thing most hated by you?
Racism, bigotry, oppression, slavery... I'm sure there's a single word for all that.
4. what would you do with a billion dollars?
Pay off my house, get a bigger one and buy something nearby for my mum to come live in. Buy my sister an apartment in an assisted living place. Buy my Dad and Stepmom an annual ticket to Australia. Maybe get a holiday house on the beach... Set up a trust fund for the kids. Pay off the mortgages of our closest friends. And go traveling all over the world!
5. what helps to pull you out of a bad mood?
A sincere apology, or a big hug, depending on the source! Wine and chocolate too of course.
6. which is more blessed, loving someone or being loved by someone?
Blessed? Unrequited love sucks, no matter which way it goes.
7. what is your bedtime routine?
I clean my teeth, wash and moisturise my face, take my vitamins, check on Princess, then climb into bed with my book. Milord allows me to read until 10:30pm at the latest!
8. if you are currently in a relationship, how did you meet your partner?
I met Milord on a dive boat off Sharm el Sheik in Egypt. I thought he was so interesting I took his email address and stalked him from across the globe and 3 years later we got married!
9. if you could watch a creative person in the act of the creative process, who would it be?
I'd love to watch a sculptor working in stone. How they envision the item inside the block and expose it is amazing.
10. what kinds of books do you read?
Most fiction, with a lean towards Fantasy.
11. how would you see yourself in ten years time?
I'll be 49 (!), with a 12 year old and a 10 year old, and will hopefully have been back in the workforce for 5 years. I hope I'm a good mum and a good wife with a good circle of friends, and that we do some traveling!
12. what’s your fear?
Anything happening to someone I love.
13. would you give up all junk food for the rest of your life for the opportunity to visit outer space?
At the moment the closest we will come to "visiting outer space" in my lifetime is a trip to the Space Station - which isn't that exciting considering I spent my childhood imagining a Lunar Colony at the very least by 2011. What happened to Space Exploration? No one has even been back to the moon since the before I was born. Disappointing! So, no.
14. would you rather be single and rich or married, but poor?
How poor? Just kidding honey!
15. what’s the first thing you do when you wake up?
Listen to Princess chatting to her toys through the baby monitor. Then put clothes on and visit the loo and warm a bottle of milk while Milord gets her up.
16. if you could change one thing about your spouse/partner what would it be?
I'd like him to have a better self image - he's been overweight for so long that he can't enjoy the fact that he's lost (and kept off) 15kg since the start of the year!
17. if you could pick a new name for yourself, what would it be?
A new name? nah.
18. would you forgive and forget no matter how horrible a thing that special someone has done?
19. if you could only eat one thing for the next 6 months, what would it be?
What a horrible idea. Hmm, ok, maybe a pizza with everything - except I'd crave fruit and veg after a few days. No, can't do it!
Ok, memes done! Tag yourself if you fancy any of them!
Thursday, 16 June 2011
Weight at conception: 74.5kg
Weight at 29 weeks: 76kg
Loss/Gain since last post: 2kg
Total Loss/Gain: 1.5kg
Bump Circumference: 98cm
Feeling ok except I tire easily. The floor is getting further away, and when Princess sits in my lap for booktime she has a peculiar backward bend over the bump!
Wednesday, 15 June 2011
Because I feel a bit random lately.
I've hurt my back. Shit. I have been so careful to look after myself because aches/illness/etc is the pits when you are pregnant, and now just as I'm nearly over the cold that has been hanging around in my sinuses for over 2 weeks I have a bad back. It's a kind of spasm behind my left shoulderblade, that goes spaz when I bend or twist... like I have to a hundred times a day looking after a toddler! I have no idea how I hurt it - maybe rescuing Princess when she misjudged the depth of the pool ramp yesterday and suddenly sank under the surface and I was there with no memory of getting to my feet from sitting in the water just beyond arms reach! Or perhaps during the tantrum when I decided I'd had enough and it was time for a hot shower...
On that subject I've just moved Princess' swim lessons to Saturday mornings so that Milord can take them over. I'm not struggling exactly, but I think it is time to hand over what I can.
That's also why I'll be looking into a cleaning service this week. I can no longer move furniture to clean under it, and getting the vacuum cleaner under the bed is a bitch!
And I'm signing up for online grocery shopping because managing a laden trolley around corners is almost impossible with no core strength. Don't even get me started on sloping parking lots!
Is it a modern women's dilemma that I feel guilty delegating this stuff? We are supposed to handle the children plus the home plus the workplace no matter what, and surely I am letting down every feminist and suffragette who fought for my right to do all this when I can't cope? Does my husband secretly resent me being a stay-at-home wuss (he says emphatically not, but one wonders sometimes)?
We've replaced our sexy 2005 4WD Lexus with a Mom's Taxi 2010 Honda Odyssey 7-seater. Not sexy but now at least we can fit more than 2.5 adults into the car along with 2 babyseats! The 2 rear seats fold away completely when not needed to create a HUGE boot space, and the car handles really well although we're missing the GPS and rear camera. The insurance reduction balances the car payment increase, so financially it's the same!
It has been raining for days. Serious rain, coming in off the sea torrentially sideways! Very Cape Town. Some towns up the coast are having floods and roofs ripped off, but for us it's just very cosy. Princess is watching way too much telly and not getting any walking practice - I was going to take her to an indoor playpark this afternoon but I'm not sure it's a good idea with my back now...
Princess' walking is ok, although she's still got very little balance. I keep hoping she'll get the hang of walking holding on with one hand, because that would be a whole lot easier for me - every time I try the one-handed thing it quickly becomes a dangle though!
She's such a cutie. She's started guerrilla cuddles... she climbs onto the couch next to me and without warning rears up, roars, and launches a pouncing cuddle! Then she'll go back to watching telly for a few minutes and do it again! I've spilled so much tea and water and wine lately - luckily we have rubber matting on the floor and the Kindle is coping quite well with splashes. If I'm doing something else in the room she'll say "More cuddles! More cuddles!" until I sit down again so that she can pounce on me.
Yes I'm drinking wine. Shut up.
Hey, my Mom's immigration visa has been approved! She'll activate it when she comes over in September and then she can move here whenever she's ready. That happened quickly - it usually takes 3 years but hers took just over 1! I'm hoping she will move over next year sometime...
Ok, Princess is down for a nap. I'm going to go lie on a hot pack and see if this back will ease up...
Tuesday, 7 June 2011
I just have a cold and am not really in the mood for blogging. My head is bunged up and I can't take anything, so it's a bit yuck. I have to sleep propped up on a heap of pillows and my sinuses ache... I caught this cold off Princess, and now I know why she was in such a bad mood for a couple of days!
It's my first real cold this pregnancy, so I'm lucky there. It seems every toddler I see is a mess of snot, which they of course smear onto all the play equipment, so Princess is getting a cold every couple of weeks. I tell myself it's good for her immune system in the long run!
Zeus is growing well and my doctor is very happy with the pregnancy. I have no complaints and no swelling and my blood pressure is the best it's been in years. I guess the housewife thing agrees with me!
There is a cold band of air coming up from Antarctica and it's jolly cold outside. It was 9C on the way to swimming this morning and it's only 15C now. The pool is indoors and warm so I braved my cold to take Princess to swim class and splashing about afterwards. I felt ok this morning but now I'm blocked up and achy again... another afternoon in front of Dora the Explorer rather than out at the chilly park I reckon. Bad Mummy, although Princess doesn't mind!